Open9:00 - 16:00 (please do not enter the church when services are being held)
Originally established as Saint Agnes Church in 1894 and subsequently burnt down in wartime air raids, the church was reborn in 1963 as the present Grand Cathedral of the Virgin Mary of Osaka. The site of the church is the former premises of the daimyo (feudal lord) Hosokawa family's mansion. Stone statues of Hosokawa Gracia and Takayama Ukon, both Christians, are in the square in front of the cathedral. Inside the cathedral is a wall painting titled "Lady Gracia on the Last Day" painted by the late Insho Domoto. Hosokawa Gracia, the third daughter of the daimyo Akechi Mitsuhide, married Hosokawa Tadaoki, and was later baptized. She killed herself after refusing to stay in Osaka Castle as a hostage during the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. Takayama Ukon, a Christian daimyo ruling the Takatsuki area, adhered to his faith in the then-prohibited Christianity, and ended up being banished to Manila. The cathedral's 100 stained glass windows illustrate the lives of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. The sounds of the organ with 2,400 pipes are magnificent.
Location〒 540-0004 2-24-22 Tamatsukuri, Chuo-ku, Osaka
Directions10-minute walk from Morinomiya Station on the Subway Chuo Line
15-minute walk from Morinomiya Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line and Subway Tsurumi-ryokuchi Line