The Hongwanji Sakai Betsuin Temple dates back to the 13th century, the time of Ashikaga Yoshiuji , the third head of the Ashikaga family.It is believed that Yoshiuji's fourth son, Sukeuji converted to Jodo Shinshu Buddhism through the guidance of the third generation Hongwanji Head Priest, Kakunyo and built the original temple here, in Sakai. In 1470, a local merchant, Kashikiya Doken erected a new temple hall and invited the 8th Hongwanji Head Priest, Rennyo to its completion celebration as the service officiant. (6 years later , the same merchant built living quarters for Rennyo in the temple precinct and named in Shinshoin, which was relocated to Yamashina, Kyoto in 1479.) The present main hall was built in 1825 and is currently the largest existing wooden structure in Sakai City. Between 1871 and 1881 , the temple hall was used as the Sakai Prefectural Office, and due to this fact, it has been designated as a historic site by Osaka Prefecture. Within the precinct , there is a monument that inscribes a poem composed by a Sakai-born poet Yosano Akiko being inspired by the hall. A massive ginkgo tree in front of the hall stands 20 meters high and measures 3.65 meters in circumference representing the temple's long history.
address3-1-10 Shinmeichohigashi, Sakai-ku, Sakai-shi, Osaka, 590-0935
transport5-minute walk from Shimmeicho Station on the Hankai Tramway