For use by pedestrians and cyclists only, this cable-stayed bridge across the Okawa River connects Osaka’s Temma area and Miyakojima-ku. In the Edo period, the location was a crossing between Bizento and Kawasaki in Temma. The neighborhood was home to a variety of buildings, including Kawasaki Toshogu, a shrine dedicated to the first Tokugawa shogun Ieyasu; the Kawasaki Mikura, a storehouse run by the city magistrate built for storing charity rice; the residence of the Hason Bugyo, a commissioner in charge of storehouse and castle construction and repair; policemen’s residences; and more. In 1877, a private bridge was built here, with a toll of three rin (about ¥60 in modern yen) per person. It seems this practice earned it the name Zenitoribashi (“Change-taking Bridge”). However, as with many others, this bridge was washed away in the Great Flood of 1885. Built in 1978 as part of a large-scale bicycle path connecting Nakanoshima Park with Senri's Expo Commemoration Park, the 129.2-meter long and 3-meter wide bridge here at present is a two-span cable-stayed bridge with cables extending from tall pylons to support the girders below. Constructed to both reduce vibrations as a pedestrian bridge and to blend with the local environment as a riverside park bridge, it even won an award from the Japan Society of Civil Engineers. With many events hosted nearby, including the Mint’s Sakura Torinuke (Cherry Blossom Passage) in spring and the Tenjin Festival’s Funatogyo boat procession in summer, the bridge gets plenty of traffic.
Location〒 530-0043 1 Tenma, Kita-ku, Osaka through Amijimacho, Miyakojima-ku
Directions7-minute walk from Temmabashi Station on the Keihan Main Line
Tel06-6615-6818 (Osaka City Construction Bureau Road Department & Bridges)