Built where Sakaisuji (the Old Kishu Road) crosses Dotonbori, this bridge is located in Osaka’s Chuo-ku. In the Edo period (1603–1868), the Nippombashi Bridge road was a long-established post town called Nagamachi. At the foot of the bridge was a dock that flourished as a key point in land and water transport, with the Shogunate's official notice board standing on the west side of the southern end of the bridge as it turned onto the bustling streets of Dotonbori. At the time, records suggest the bridge was approximately 40m in length, 7m in width, and made of wood. Following a number of repairs carried out since the Meiji Era, the bridge was rebuilt in its present form in 1969 when the subway was constructed. The old bridge's anchor post can be found at the foot of the current bridge. The area around Nippombashi Bridge flourished as a shopping district with secondhand bookshops in the Meiji Era. After the war, however, many stores selling home-made radio parts and tools sprung up, transforming the area into an electronics store district now known as Den Den Town.
Location〒 542-0071 Soemoncho, Chuo-ku, Osaka through 1 Dotonbori
Directions10-minute walk from Nippombashi Station on the Subway Sakaisuji Line