Constructed in an attempt to clean the river’s waters, Suishobashi was built in 1929 as an adjustable weir on the Dojima River. Flash forward a half-century later to 1982, and the weir had undergone noticeable wear and tear, so maintenance and renovation were carried out in order transform it into something worthy of the name “suisho” (“crystal” in Japanese). The present arch structure, supported by an additional 9 smaller arches, gives a sense of lightness despite its weighty construction, and the benches and planters on the deck invite strollers to rest and relax. Nearby along the river are Osaka City Central Public Hall, Osaka Prefectural Nakanoshima Library, and many other leading examples of modernist architecture in Osaka, making the area perfect for a stroll. There are a number of explanations regarding the name: It may be in reference to how the bridge lanterns shine like crystals in the surface of the water below, or perhaps the bridge was christened as a prayer for the success and prosperity of Osaka, City of Water. In the afternoon, many people can be seen here painting pictures of the bridge; in the evening, the bridge is beautifully illuminated.
Location〒 530-0005 2 Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka through 1 Nakanoshima
Directions5-minute walk from Yodoyabashi Station on the Subway Midosuji Line
Tel06-6615-6818 (Osaka City Construction Bureau Road Department & Bridges)