Koraibashi Bridge spans the Higashi-Yokobori River. One theory about the name of this bridge, which is thought to date back to the Toyotomi period (1585–1603), says that it comes from the name of a hall where envoys from the kingdoms of the Korean Peninsula were entertained. Another posits that it comes from the Korean trading present in the area when Toyotomi Hideyoshi was dividing Osaka into sections. In the Edo period (1603–1868), the bridge was managed by the Shogunate and had an official noticeboard at its western end for promulgating laws and ordinances. Lined with commercial enterprises like the Mitsui Clothing Shop (progenitor of the modern-day Mitsukoshi chain of department stores) and the Mitsui Exchange House, Koraibashi Bridge brimmed with lively energy. As early as the Keicho era (1596–1614), it was a splendid bridge, resplendent with giboshi railing ornaments. After reformation in the mid-19th century, the Meiji government erected a workpiece at the bridge declaring it to be the 0-mile marker and starting point for the roads of Western Japan. In 1870, the bridge was the first in Osaka to be replaced with an iron bridge, imported from Britain. The dark, thick luster of its surface cast in gas lanterns astonished the people of the time, who came to call it Kuroganebashi, or “black-gold bridge.” The current reinforced-concrete-arch bridge was built to replace the previous one in 1929. The new structure speaks to the bridge’s history with giboshi-style ornamentation along the railings and anchor posts at the west end modeled after yagura-yashiki (towered townhouses).
Location〒 541-0043 1 Koraibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka through Higashikoraibashi
Tel06-6615-6818 (Osaka City Construction Bureau Road Department & Bridges)
Directions4-minute walk from Kitahama Station on the Keihan Main Line