Osaka City Central Public Hall
An important cultural property designated by the national government that stands within a large city. The beautiful Renaissance-type exterior that pairs well with the blue water and greenery still remains timeless since its construction. Loved and familiar to many as a symbol of Nakanoshima, Osaka.
The Osaka City Central Public Hall was completed in 1918 with donations from Einosuke Iwamoto (the “One-man resident of Osaka”), based on the original idea by Shinichiro Okada, and design by Tatsuno Kingo and Yasushi Kataoka. Ever since, for over a century it has been deeply entrenched in the development of the art and culture of Osaka, with performances and events such as operas and concerts by world-class artists, in addition to lectures and seminars by leading figures from various fields, such as Einstein, Helen Keller, etc.
Preservation and restoration work began for this building in 1999, and was completed in 2002. In the same year (2002), it was designated by the national government as an important cultural property, the first public assembly hall to be designated as such in west Japan.
This steel and brick building is 3 stories high above ground with 1 underground floor. The design itself is based on the Neo-Renaissance style. The exhibition room on the 1st floor basement has a display of the history and items related to this public hall and open to the public free of charge.
- Restaurant Available
- Parking Available
- (Phone lines open until 8:00 PM)
- Fourth Tuesday of each month (the following day when holidays fall on these dates), New Year holidays (12/28 - 1/4), other temporary closures
- Facility will not be available for touring due to being chartered. Only the 1st floor basement will be available to tour for free.
- Roughly a 5-minute walk from exit 1 of Yodoyabashi Station on the Keihan Railway and Osaka Metro Midosuji Line
Roughly a 6-minute walk from exit 22 of Kitahama Station on the Keihan Railway and Osaka Metro Sakaisuji Line
1-minute walk from exit 1 of Naniwabashi Station on the Keihan Railway Nakanoshima Line
- 〒 530-0005 1-1-27 Nakanoshima, Kita-ku, Osaka
- 06-6208-2002 fax：06-6208-2003
- Please consult website