Hommachibashi Bridge 0

This bridge was built during the excavation of the Higashi-Yokobori River during Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s fortification of Osaka Castle in the late 16th century.

    The oldest bridge still in use in Osaka, this bridge was built during the excavation of the Higashi-Yokobori River during Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s fortification of Osaka Castle in the late 16th century. According to records from 1787, the bridge was made of wood and stretched 54 meters long and 5.9 meters wide. In the Edo period (1603–1868), the bridge was under direct Shogunate management as a public bridge and crucial location connecting Osaka Castle to Funabashi. Additionally, the western office of the city magistrate office was established on the northeast end of the bride, turning the area into the heart of municipal administration. The current bridge is a replica installed in 1923 when Honcho Street was widened for streetcar use. The bridge is a sturdy structure supported by three steel arches and stone bridge piers. Repair and beautification work has been ongoing since 1979, with a total three years work carried out to repair bridge-wide corrosion