Sakai Plaza of Rikyu and Akiko
A museum that highlights the unique history and culture of Sakai through the eyes of Sen-no-Rikyu and Akiko Yosano! Featuring fully-interactive VR experiences and hands-on tea ceremonies!
A fun starting point to travel Sakai for the whole family. The Sakai Plaza of Rikyu and Akiko is a treasure trove filled with various features of the town of Sakai. Learn more about the history and culture of Sakai through the tea ceremonies of the great master Sen-no-Rikyu, and the literature of the poet Akiko Yosano, both of whom are from Sakai. We offer tablets that provide multilingual commentary support for the exhibitions in Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese (simplified and traditional).
For the Ryurei-Teicha (casual) ceremony, the tea and Japanese-style sweets are prepared in either Omotesenke, Urasenke and Mushakojisenke school for visitors to enjoy in their seats. Enjoy a hands-on experience of a proper ceremony in a teahouse that faces the site of the Sen-no-Rikyu residence.
In addition, there is even a “Time-Trip Sakai” feature that allows visitors to freely view a three-dimensional recreation of a townscape of Sakai during the middle ages (multilingual support).
- Restaurant Available
- Parking Available
- Barrier Free
- 2-1-1 Shukuinchonishi, Saki-ku, Sakai-shi
- 072-260-4386(language) Japanese 072-260-4725
● Sen no Rikyu Chanoyu (Tea Teremony) Museum, Yosano Akiko Museum, Chanoyu (Tea Ceremony) Experience Room Third Tuesday (if it is a national holiday, closed on the following day) and New Year’s holidays
● Tourist Information Space New Year’s holidays
● Parking lot is open year-round
Sen no Rikyu Chanoyu (Tea Ceremony) Museum, Yosano Akiko Museum, Tourist Information Space 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Chanoyu (Tea Ceremony) Experience Room 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Closest station 1 minute walk from [Shukuin Station on the Hankai Line] About a 10-minute walk or about 3 to 5 minutes by bus from [Sakai Station on the Nankai Main Line] About 6 minutes by bus from [Sakaihigashi Station on the Nankai Koya Line] Closest bus stop 1 minute from “Shukuin Station
- ■ “Sen no Rikyu Chanoyu (Tea Ceremony) Museum” “Yosano Akiko Museum” “Free Tour of the Sakai Taian tearoom exterior” Adults (including university students): ¥300 (¥240) High school students: ¥200 (¥160) Junior high school students and under: Free admission *( ) are prices for groups of 10 or more persons ■ Ryurei-Teicha (casual) ceremony (advanced reservation required, same-day reception possible if there is room in the schedule / fixed-time) Adults (including university students): ¥800 (¥640) High school students: ¥700 (¥560) Junior high school students and under: ¥600 (¥480) *( ) are prices for groups of 10 or more persons ■ Proper Hands-on Tea Ceremony Experience (in general, requires at least a month-long advanced reservation / fixed-time / accept group reservations starting at 10 persons) Adults (including university students): 1,000 High school students: ¥900 Junior high school students and under: ¥800 ■ “Hands-on Tea Ceremony Experience for Individuals” (advanced reservation required / fixed-time / only available on third Monday of every month) Adults (including university students): 1,000 High school students: ¥900 Junior high school students and under: ¥800 ■ VR Experience “Time-Trip Sakai” Adults (including university students): 1,400 (¥1,120) High school students: ¥1,300 (¥1,040) Junior high school students (13 years and older): ¥1,200 (¥960) *( ) are prices for groups of 10 or more persons *Persons under 13 years of age cannot use the VR.